Java catch up
If you haven't used Java before, what do you need to know in order to do web programming in it?
- You need a programming environment in which to develop Java programs. We recommend using the NetBeans IDE. See the notes on how to install it.
- Read about the background to Java and how it is implemented.
- Read all the sections of " Learning the Java language". There is a ton of stuff here, but it's all fairly essential. Key areas to cover include:
- Object-Oriented Programming Concepts
- Classes and Inheritance
- Interfaces and Packages
- There are a number of "Essential Java Classes" that you will come across. Refer to this section whenever you come across one of these that you don't understand.
- Note that in ENTWA and APSW, we do NOT do any graphics programming, so you should not need to read about AWT and Swing at this stage.
- The Java tutorials mentioned above are some of many that can be found on The Java Tutorial page.
- Java SE is documented here. It is likely that you will need to refer to the documentation on particular standard Java classes that can be found in the section marked "Core API Docs".
Recommended Java text books